And Team Suzuki Ecstar are particularly pleased to be heading back to the British track at Silverstone for round 12 in the 2021 series this weekend after Alex Rins (pictured here) took an exhilarating victory in 2019 following an incredible battle with fellow Spaniard Marc Marquez (Honda).
The double-header in Austria brought about mixed results for the GSX-RR mounted pair, Rins and Spain’s Joan Mir, with Mir taking a decent handful of championship points and rocketing up to joint second place in the standings.
Meanwhile, Rins struggled a little with settings and the weather disruption.
But sights will be set high this weekend as Rins aims to climb back on the podium at a circuit he gels with. The challenge will be different for Mir as he is yet to ride at Silverstone in the reigning class – missing out due to injury in 2019, and also unable to ride in Moto2 in 2018. His previous best at this track was fifth in 2017.
The British Grand Prix is somewhat of a stalwart in the MotoGP calendar with the first ever event taking place back in 1949 on the Isle of Man.
Silverstone first played host in 1977 and it has now settled as the home of the UK round since a switch from Donington Park in 2010.
Situated in the Northamptonshire countryside, the track is famed for its often unseasonably chilly and wet weather, making it one of the most daunting rounds on the calendar.
Despite a short straight and lack of elevation changes, the 5.9km circuit often produces exciting races and shock results.
Photo courtesy Suzuki Europe
Find BikesportNZ.com on FACEBOOK here
RIDER STANDINGS (after 11 rounds):
- QUARTARARO Fabio, FRA, 181, Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP, Yamaha
- BAGNAIA Francesco, ITA, 134, Ducati Lenovo Team, Ducati
- MIR Joan, SPA, 134, Team Suzuki Ecstar, Suzuki
- ZARCO Johann, FRA, 132, Pramac Racing, Ducati
- MILLER Jack, AUS, 105, Ducati Lenovo Team, Ducati
- BINDER Brad, RSA, 98, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing, KTM
- VINALES Maverick, SPA, 95, Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP, Yamaha
- OLIVEIRA Miguel, POR, 85, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing, KTM
- ESPARGARO Aleix, SPA, 67, Aprilia Racing Team Gresini, Aprilia
- MARTIN Jorge, SPA, 64, Pramac Racing, Ducati
- MARQUEZ Marc, SPA, 59, Repsol Honda Team, Honda
- NAKAGAMI Takaaki, JPN, 55, LCR Honda, Honda
- RINS Alex, SPA, 44, Team Suzuki Ecstar, Suzuki
- MARQUEZ Alex, SPA, 41, LCR Honda, Honda
- ESPARGARO Pol, SPA, 41, Repsol Honda Team, Honda
- MORBIDELLI Franco, ITA, 40, Petronas Yamaha SRT, Yamaha
- BASTIANINI Enea, ITA, 31, Avintia Esponsorama, Ducati
- PETRUCCI Danilo, ITA, 30, Tech 3 KTM Factory Racing, KTM
- ROSSI Valentino, ITA, 28, Petronas Yamaha SRT, Yamaha
- MARINI Luca, ITA, 27, SKY VR46 Avintia, Ducati
- LECUONA Iker, SPA, 24, Tech 3 KTM Factory Racing, KTM
- BRADL Stefan, GER, 11, Team HRC, Honda
- PEDROSA Dani, SPA, 6, KTM Test Team, KTM
- SAVADORI Lorenzo, ITA, 4, Aprilia Racing Team Gresini, Aprilia
- PIRRO Michele, ITA, 3, Pramac Racing, Ducati
- RABAT Tito, SPA, 1, Pramac Racing, Ducati