Frenchman Marvin Musquin took the 450SX class win, his first since 2019, with one round remaining in 2021, while series leader Cooper Webb passed the chequered flag right on Musquin’s real wheel for a second-place finish and Malcolm Stewart earned his career-first 450SX class podium with a third-place finish in front of the limited-capacity, pod-seated fans inside the open stadium.
It meant Webb easily maintained his stranglehold on the series lead and the title his to lose at the 17th and final round next weekend.
The Eastern Regional 250SX class racers returned to racing after a 10-week break and Jo Shimoda earned his first ever-win with a display of speed and composure under pressure to take the championship battle to the final round.
When the gate dropped for the 450SX class main event it was Germany’s Ken Roczen who grabbed the holeshot and immediately took control. Roczen sat second in the title points, down by 16 to Webb, and looked completely in command as Webb struggled to recover from a ninth place start. Musquin sat in second and lost time to Roczen in the early laps as defending champion Eli Tomac tried to fight forward from just inside the top 10 after a bad start.
Webb moved quickly up to fourth with Stewart putting heavy pressure on him, making several near-passes as the two tried to climb forward to reach third place being held by Jason Anderson. Two and a half minutes into the race, Webb sat 5.7 seconds and seven championship points back from Roczen when Tomac had a tip over and dropped back more spots, remounting nearly outside of the top 10.
At the race’s mid-point Musquin began to chip away at Roczen’s lead as Webb contended with the constant pressure from Stewart and inched closer to Anderson. With less than ten minutes left on the clock in the 20-minute plus one lap race Webb got around Anderson and into a podium spot. Then Roczen make a mistake exiting the corner before the whoops and went down, dropping him to fifth and handing the lead over to Musquin.
Webb broke clear of other riders as he slowly reeled in KTM team-mate, Musquin, who was navigating through the lappers. Musquin held his pace and his position and brought home the win, his first since 2019, with Webb following in second and Stewart completing the podium in third.
The season finale is set for Saturday, May 1.
Find BikesportNZ.com on FACEBOOK here
RESULTS & STANDINGS:
450SX Class Results:
- Marvin Musquin, Corona, Calif., KTM
- Cooper Webb, Newport N.C., KTM
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
- Dylan Ferrandis, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Yamaha
- Chase Sexton, Clermont, Fla., Honda
- Ken Roczen, Clermont, Fla., Honda
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.Mex., Husqvarna
- Aaron Plessinger, Hamilton, Ohio, Yamaha
- Dean Wilson, Murrieta, Calif., Husqvarna
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Kawasaki
450SX Class Championship Standings:
- Cooper Webb, Newport N.C., KTM (362)
- Ken Roczen, Clermont, Fla., Honda (340)
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Kawasaki (312)
- Justin Barcia, Greenville, Fla., GASGAS (273)
- Aaron Plessinger, Hamilton, Ohio, Yamaha (249)
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.Mex., Husqvarna (236)
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha (230)
- Dylan Ferrandis, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Yamaha (218)
- Marvin Musquin, Corona, Calif., KTM (208)
- Joey Savatgy, Clermont, Fla., KTM (190)
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Results:
- Jo Shimoda, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki
- Jett Lawrence, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Honda
- Colt Nichols, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
- Michael Mosiman, Menifee, Calif., GASGAS
- Thomas Do, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
- Joshua Varize, Perris, Calif., KTM
- Logan Karnow, Amherst, Ohio, Kawasaki
- Geran Stapleton, Cape Schanck, VIC, Honda
- Hunter Schlosser, El Paso, Tex., Yamaha
- John Short, Pilot Point, Tex., Suzuki
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Championship Standings:
- Colt Nichols, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha (187)
- Jo Shimoda, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki (164)
- Christian Craig, Temecula, Calif., Yamaha (158)
- Jett Lawrence, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Honda (151)
- Michael Mosiman, Menifee, Calif., GASGAS (116)
- Joshua Osby, Valparaiso, Ind., Honda (104)
- Joshua Varize, Perris, Calif., KTM (98)
- Thomas Do, Murrieta, Calif., KTM (92)
- Mitchell Oldenburg, Aledo, Tex., Honda (91)
- Logan Karnow, Amherst, Ohio, Kawasaki (77)