Red Bull KTM Factory Racing’s Jorge Prado and Tom Vialle topped the two podiums at the Grand Prix of Limburg as the Spaniard and Frenchman ruled their respective classes around the demanding sand of the Lommel circuit in Belgium.
For Prado it was his third win of 2020 and he moves up to third in the standings after this 14th round of 18 in the world series.
Windy and overcast conditions marked the Grand Prix of Limburg and the second event in the 2020 FIM World Championship to take place in the deep Lommel sand. A rainy morning caused the terrain to become even softer, rougher and slower and therefore also more physically draining.
Spain’s Prado started race day with his 15th holeshot of the season in the first moto. He led the race twice: once in the opening stages from Honda’s championship leader Tim Gajser and then again when the Slovenian briefly crashed.
Prado could not keep pace as Gajser recovered and fought back but collected a strong 2nd position. In the next outing Prado flew in formation with team-mate Tony Cairoli.
The pair circulated close together and Prado was able to keep the Sicilian at bay for his fifth chequered flag of 2020 (the second highest total of all the riders). Prado’s eighth podium appearance in his rookie term means he is now only two points behind Cairoli in the world championship standings and 57 points from the lead held by Gajser.
“It was a tough day and I didn’t feel 100% but I fought as much as I could,” said Prado. “Tony and I had a good race in the second moto and I gave my ‘all’ for that victory; I’m really happy to have made it. The injuries at the start of the season meant that I missed bike time and I was racing without preparation.
“Now I am starting to feel better and I think it’s normal that it takes some time to get to a good level. Now we have to recover and get ready to go again on Sunday.”
The Grand Prix of Lommel will bring the Belgian triple header to a close this coming Sunday, October 25.
Photo courtesy KTM Europe
Find BikesportNZ.com on FACEBOOK here
Results MXGP Grand Prix of Limburg 2020
- Jorge Prado (ESP) KTM (2-1)
- Tim Gajser (SLO) Honda (1-3)
- Tony Cairoli (ITA) KTM (5-2)
- Romain Febvre (FRA) Kawasaki (3-4)
- Jeremy Seewer (SUI) Kawasaki (4-7)
Standings MXGP 2020 after round 14
- Tim Gajser, Slovenia, Honda, 533
- Tony Cairoli, Italy, KTM, 478
- Jorge Prado, Spain, KTM, 476
- Jeremy Seewer, Switzerland, Kawasaki, 461
- Romain Febvre, France, Kawasaki, 421
Results MX2 Grand Prix of Limburg 2020
- Tom Vialle (FRA), KTM (2-1)
- Ben Watson (GBR) Yamaha (3-2)
- Jago Geerts (BEL) Yamaha (1-7)
- Isak Gifting (SWE) GasGas (5-5)
- Maxime Renaux (FRA) Yamaha (8-4)
Standings MX2 2020 after round 14
- Tom Vialle, France, KTM, 616 points
- Jago Geerts, Belgium, Yamaha, 555
- Maxime Renaux, France, Yamaha, 438
- Jed Beaton, Australia, Husqvarna, 429
- Thomas Kjer Olsen, Denmark, Husqvarna, 410