It was initially announced that Horsham’s opening two double-header rounds (rounds one and two), scheduled for April 4-5, had been postponed, but now it has also been confirmed that both Newry (round three) and Gympie (round four) will also be affected as a result of Coronavirus COVID-19.
As it stands, the series may not be kicking off until the Conondale round, in Queensland on June 28 (the event that had originally been scheduled as round five of the series).
Several New Zealand racers are affected by this, including New Zealand’s top two MX2 class riders, Mangakino’s Maximus Purvis and Mount Maunganui’s Josiah Natzke.
According to Motorcycling Australia (MA), this is “in response to the ongoing developments and global health concerns in relation to Coronavirus, including governmental imposed restrictions on travel and mass gatherings, Motorcycling Australia provides this update to its members, State Controlling Bodies (SCB) and key stakeholders on the status of MA permitted events scheduled between March 20 and July 31”.
“MA is committed to conducting as many events during this period of uncertainty as possible, whilst at the same time acknowledging its responsibility to promote the welfare of everyone involved in MA permitted events including riders, teams, industry and fans.
“MA is moving to keep abreast of the guidelines, requirements and regulations as they are announced by the various National and State Governments. Some MA permitted events may be able to continue without spectators or where they involve fewer than the recommended number of people for mass gatherings whilst maintaining social distancing. With other events this will not be possible in which case MA supports postponement and/or cancellation as needed.
“The judgment to postpone any MA permitted event is not taken lightly by MA, the clubs or promoter, and we take this opportunity to apologies for any inconvenience caused by these unprecedented circumstances.
“MA also advises that it is in continual contact with FIM and FIM Oceania with respect to the status of FIM-sanctioned International events. The postponement of FIM championships may result in further impact with upcoming FIM events and riders are advised to follow these developments of www.fim-live.com
“MA reminds its members and licence holders that for updates and further information in regard to State Championship and Club events, please contact their local State Controlling Body (SCB) in that area.”
© Photos by Andy McGechan, BikesportNZ
Find BikesportNZ.com on FACEBOOK here