As other names pop up, we will also give them the opportunity to express themselves here.
Today we give Noel May the opportunity to tell us a little bit about himself.
“I’m Noel May, current South Island Off-Road Board Member & Chief Governance Officer for Motorcycling New Zealand. I am excited to stand for the role of President of MNZ which I see as an honour and privilege.
“I believe in giving back to the sport, and as such have a long consistent volunteer history. I see the role of president for MNZ as a further step in carrying on the pathway MNZ has evolved to in the past 4 years.
“I am passionate about the sport and would like the opportunity to continue bringing my expertise and enthusiasm to the board and represent the members needs to the best of my ability. I believe we can continue to improve thru communication, consultation. Having robust procedures and policies in place for decision making and evaluation of procedures to check strategic goals are being met, what is being done well and what needs improvement.
“Since my election in 2014, the MNZ board has gone through many changes. With the support of Board Clarity, we now have a robust policy document to keep the board in a governance system not the executive committee system as it has been run in the past. While the Board has been thru major changes, challenges and up-skilling I believe we have made significant progress in a wide range of areas such as Technological advances within the office, the introduction of the MNZ App, and greater financial competency.
“I’ve overseen an independent office review of MNZ to which identified opportunities to grow and improve our administrative function.
“I wish to see the momentum the board has worked hard to achieve continue and believe I have the experience and skills to allow this to happen.
“What skills do I have to do achieve this –
“Experience and understanding of issues facing members & clubs:
- “With over 15 years’ experience as an active club member, first for the Southland Club and currently for the South Canterbury Club.
- “I am currently a Grade 3 Steward and Grade 4 Clerk of Course.
- “I am the current MNZ Supercross Coordinator.
- “Current CGO for the board (communication between the Governance board & General Manager of Operations and vice versa)
- “I have extensive experience in all facets of running and organising events from Club to National level (from fundraising to track building). This has involved several disciplines including Supercross, Motocross, Cross Country, Training days, & helping my local club with NZSBK at Levels and was convenor of Southern Series for 5 years.
- “I still enjoy riding and competing when I get the opportunity.
- “This experience gives me a true insight into all aspects of the sport: as a competitor, as a organiser, and as an Official, to be able to understand the complexity and needs of individuals, the importance of safety and liability aspects of events, promotion and event budgeting as well as the challenges that go along with these.”
“I am 50 years old, married with two children and reside in South Canterbury.
“I am a Rural Real Estate Agent for Bayleys South Canterbury. Marketing, negotiation, business analysis and communication are a big part of my everyday working life.
“Adele and I run our own business ‘Timing Tech’, this sees a close relationship with riders, clubs & officials on a weekly basis – this means I get to see and understand the day to day challenges faced by clubs and riders.
“Current Committee member South Canterbury Motorcycle Club.
“I have a personality that won’t back away from the hard decisions, but also have the ability to listen to others. I work with facts, gathering as much information as possible and using this when looking at issues and solutions. I like to take an innovative approach and look for problem solving ideas outside the square. I believe in straightforward communication, not backing away from challenges, handling problems in a constructive and effective manner to look for solutions and not excuses.
“If you believe these characteristics would represent you well, then please support me by giving me your vote for President.”